- Young Artist
- College Masterclass
- High School Soloist
- Young Flutists Showcase
- Solo and Ensemble
- Festival Flute Choirs
Updated: March 5, 2013
Competition Entry Form [website]
Please note: All checks must be written in blue or black ink. Our credit union will not accept checks written in anything other than blue or black. Send the check to the chair of your competition (not to the MSFS Treasurer).
Young Artist Competition
To be eligible, applicant must be at least 18, but no older than 30 on March 22, 2013. Previous Mid-South first place winners are ineligible. Three finalists will be selected on the basis of recorded auditions to compete live in the final round at the Flute Festival Mid-South 2013 in Memphis, Tennessee. The finalists will perform in the closing gala recital playing one of the three final round pieces, chosen by the judges.
Each entrant will record three pieces from the required list, one from group A, one from group B, and one from group C. Pieces that require accompaniment must be recorded with accompaniment. THREE CDs of the selected pieces must be in the hands of the competition chair NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 1, 2012, along with completed application form and fees. In early January, the finalists will be notified for the final live round of the competition to be held in Memphis, TN.
The recorded audition must be on CD. Although the recording device may be stopped between movements in multi-movement works, recordings must be unedited or the entry will be disqualified. The recording may include studio as well as concert performances. There may by NO IDENTIFICATION on the recording or box (please do NOT indicate which repertoire was chosen!) and NO SPEAKING on the recording. The applicant's name, address, and competition entered must appear ONLY on the outer package. Recordings will be coded and sent to the appropriate judging committee with only the code number identification. Failure to follow these requirements will result in disqualification.
Mail recordings, application, and fees by DECEMBER 1, 2012 to Competition Chair:
Dr. Tracey Schmidt-Jaynes
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania
Department of Music
400 E. 2nd St.
Bloomsburg, PA 17815
Mid-South Young Artist Repertoire List 2012
(no repeats in selections from Group A)
CPE Bach: Hamburger Sonate: Allegretto and Rondo
JS Bach: Sonata in Eb Major: I. Allegro moderato and II. Siciliano
JS Bach: Sonata in g minor: I. Allegro moderato and III. Allegro
- Jindrich Feld: Quatre Pièces pour flûte seule: I. Méditation and II. Caprice
Jean Françaix: Suite pour flûte seule: I. Caprice and II. Pavane
John LaMontaine: Sonata for Flute Solo: II. Jaunty and III. Introspective
Aaron Copland: Duo for Flute and Piano: II. Poetic, somewhat mournful and III. Lively, with bounce
Norman Dello Joio: Suite for Flute and Piano (The Developing Flutist): II. Canon, III. Aria and IV. Scherzo
Lukas Foss: Three American Pieces: II. Dedication and III. Composer’s Holiday
Final Round Repertoire:
JS Bach: Sonata in a minor, Allemande
Ian Clarke: Orange Dawn
Robert Muczynski: Sonata for Flute and Piano, IV. Allegro con moto
To be eligible, applicant must be a full time undergraduate student enrolled in any college major. Three performers will be selected on the basis of recorded auditions to play for the guest artist at the Flute Festival Mid-South.
Entrants are required to record one piece of their choice not to exceed ten minutes. Single movements of multi-movement pieces are acceptable. Pieces that require accompaniment must be recorded with accompaniment. Smartmusic© may be used for accompaniment in the recorded round if desired. TWO CDs of the selected piece must be received by the competition chair NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 1ST, along with completed application form and fees. Winners will be notified in January, and will play the piece on the recording for the masterclass.
The recorded audition must be on a CD disk and recordings must be unedited. The recording may include studio as well as concert performances as long as no editing has occurred. The recording device may be stopped between movements in multi-movement works. If a recording is found to have been edited, the applicant will be disqualified. There may by NO IDENTIFICATION on the recording or box and NO SPEAKING. The applicant's name, address, and competition entered must appear ONLY on the outer package. Recordings will be coded and sent to the appropriate judging committee with only the code number identification. Failure to follow these requirements will result in disqualification.
The competition chair must receive recordings, application, and fees by December 1, 2012.
Send materials to: Angela Reynold
1807 Pennsylvania Avenue
Great Lakes, IL 60088
High School Soloist Competition
Note that recordings are no longer required for this competition. Please read the new rules below.
- To be eligible, applicants currently must be enrolled in grades 9-12 (or home school equivalent) and not have a high school diploma.
- Students must submit an application form signed by their teacher and a parent.
- Private teachers must be members of the Mid-South Flute Society. If not a member, instructions are on the entry form for them to do join. If the teacher is an ensemble director and not primarily a flutist they can request that the membership requirement be waved.
- A maximum of two students from each teacher's studio will be accepted.
- Students are taken on a "first come, first served" basis. The first recommendation from each studio will be taken in the order received, and then if more finalist slots are available a second entry from a studio will be chosen, also in the order received. There will be a maximum of fifteen finalists.
- Entries will not be accepted prior to January 15, 2013. Entries arriving earlier than that date will be treated as arriving on January 15. Entries will be accepted through February 15, 2013.
- Performances will be limited to six minutes. Single movements, or editing to fit time limit are acceptable. In the finals performances will be stopped after six minutes.
- Pieces written with accompaniment must be performed with accompaniment.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
- Entry fee will include Festival entry and Mid-South Flute Society membership, and services of festival accompanist if needed. (see entry form)
Prizes are $150, $100 and $50 for first, second and third place. The first place winner will have the option of performing on the gala concert.
Send materials to: Dr. Heather Small
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Music Dept. #1451
615 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37403
Note that a separate Competition Entry Form is used for the Solo and Ensemble Competition.
Solo and Ensemble provides flutists the opportunity to play a selection of their choice for critique by a qualified judge at the annual festival. This event is open to flutists of all levels, from beginners who have only been playing for months to college-level players and beyond. Flutists may play a solo, with or without piano accompaniment, or as part of an ensemble.
Each participating soloist or ensemble will receive a rating of Superior Plus, Superior, Excellent, Good, or Needs Work. Superior Plus rating requires that the selection be memorized. Certificates will be awarded, and outstanding entries recognized at the Gala Concert on Saturday night. A schedule will be posted on www.midsouthflute.org close to the date of the contest.
- The non-refundable entry fee is $15.00 per performance. Ensembles should split the $15.00 fee among the members. There is no fee for accompanists, but they will not be provided by the Mid-South Flute Society. Flutists participating in Solo and Ensemble are also required to pay the non-refundable festival registration fee, which includes membership dues for the Mid South Flute Society. This fee is $20.00 for students or $25.00 for non-students. Non-flutist ensemble members are not required to pay festival and membership fees.
- Please mail the application form and fees by March 15 to:
Dr. Jeremy Benson
Jacksonville State University
David L. Walters Department of Music
700 Pelham Rd. North
Jacksonville, AL 36265
This event gives younger players a chance to perform in their own showcase concert at the festival.
Students must be in the eighth grade (home school equivalent) or younger by March 15, 2013.
Students must be recommended by their private flute teacher and the teacher must sign their application.
In order to recommend students, the teacher must be a member of the Mid-South Flute Society.
A maximum of two students will be accepted from any one teacher's studio.
Students are taken on a "first come, first served" basis. The first recommendation from each studio will be taken in the order received, then if there is time on the concert the second name will be chosen also in the order received.
Entries will not be accepted prior to January 15, 2013. Entries arriving earlier than that date will be treated as arriving on January 15. Entries will be accepted through March 8, 2013.
Performances will be limited to five minutes.
When applicable, pieces should be performed with the piano accompaniment. A pianist will be provided at no extra charge. Performers may bring their own accompanist if desired.
Judges' decisions are final.
All fees for students chosen must be received by the Mid-South Flute Society four weeks prior to the festival in order to be included on the concert.
Send materials to: Brittney Patterson
10345 Stoneybrooke Rd.
Collierville, TN 38017